Friday, January 27, 2012

How do I tell my daycare mom, that she is OVER feeding her KIDS?

She has always said things like "I was big all my life", "my whole family is big", "I'll never be, like, skinny or anything".



She has also told me on a few occassions that her and her son, have both puked after eating too much.



Her 3 yr old is twice the weight he should be, and her 2 yr old is on her way. Their stomachs are so stretched out, that the 3 yr old can eat 4 pieces of Little Ceasars pizza.



Between the mom and 2 small kids, they eat an entire box of Hamburger Helper (I can feed me, my hubby, our grown son and 11 yr old daughter on one box ,along with a huge salad and a starch of some kind).



Every day when she comes to pick up the kids, the first thing she says is "do you think mom bought you something good today?" and the kids go running to see what junk food she bought them.



They get so excited about food it's amazing.



Is there anything I can do?She says she doesn't want her kids to grow up the way she did, always being teased for being fat.How do I tell my daycare mom, that she is OVER feeding her KIDS?
I would speak to her privately about the matter, but keep in mind that parents are generally none too accepting when it comes to criticizm on how they raise their children. Maybe showing her an article, similar to this one, could help. Here is a link.



http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/yourchild鈥?/a>



When the kids are with you, try to turn them on to healthier foods...fruits, veggies, ect. As a child (ok, and as an adult too) I would forgo cookies and the like for big red grapes. I always had access to the cookies, but I preferred the grapes. If this mother does not regularly stock her kitchen with fruits and veggies, than it's likely the kids don't know how good they taste. Maybe once they are eating them regularly with you, and liking them, mom will follow suit.How do I tell my daycare mom, that she is OVER feeding her KIDS?
Hey you...how did your day go?



If I were in your shoes, I'd phone this lady, or pull her aside for a minute. Be firm and in a matter-of-fact way, TELL her to reduce the portions she is giving your child. In no way, is she to give the portions she gives to other kids to yours. Simply mention that you are serious...Tell her to reduce the portions by one half. When you you please and thank you, the problem should be resolved. If you must, repeat yourself and if you are not convinced she is accomodating you, the next thing to tell her is that you are being left with no other recourse, but to look for a different daycare provider.

No comments:

Post a Comment